Translate

Friday, May 18, 2012

'Bless Me Father, for I have Sinned. I am a Girl Scout" /Patricia McGuire: Girls Scouts and God's Grace


"Bless me, Father, for I have sinned. I am a Girl Scout.
Recently, I shook hands with more than 200 Girl Scouts assembled at Trinity for the annual "In Your Honor" ceremony celebrating the Gold Award and Silver Trefoil Award Girl Scouts of the Nation's Capital Council. As I looked around the room packed with girls, parents and families, I marveled at how this organization keeps girls focused on healthy, wholesome, positive activities in a world where too many young women face exploitation, abuse, disparagement, discouragement and the plague of low expectations. A quick sample of the Gold Award projects clearly demonstrates the plain fact that the Girl Scouts today are about a whole lot more than cookie sales. In one project, a girl developed brochures and video guides to help teenagers dealing with family members who have Alzheimer's. Another project focused on introducing kids living in a homeless shelter to science, technology, engineering and math. Yet another project took on the problem of cyberbullying. Many of the projects focused on literacy, environmental action and drug/alcohol education.
The next morning I opened the newspaper and read that the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has launched an investigation into the Girl Scouts.
Well, Father, I was really just a Brownie. It didn't last long. Mom pulled me out after the episode with the cookies. I ate more than I sold. About five times.
Apparently, the bishops have received some complaints about Girl Scout troops affiliated with Catholic parishes and schools. Seems that some troops have used materials that conflict with Catholic teaching. And there's that longstanding rumor about some tie to Planned Parenthood, which the Girl Scouts have repeatedly refuted.
"Patricia McGuire, President of Trinity Washington University, reports in the Huffington Post that Catholic bishops have received complaints about Girl Scout troops affiliated with Catholic parishes and schools. Among complaints are that that some troops have used materials that conflict with Catholic teaching, and a longstanding rumor about some tie to Planned Parenthood, which the Girl Scouts have repeatedly refuted..."

No comments: