Translate

Monday, January 21, 2013

"Vatican's demand for silence is too high a price" Fr. Tony Flannery/Irish Times Article/"Holy Shakeup Continues

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2013/0121/1224329102657.html#.UP1BdnxSLg0.email

...."There are people who will say I should leave the Catholic Church and join another Christian church – one more suitable to my stance. Being a Catholic is central to my personal identity. I have tried to preach the gospel. No matter what sanctions the Vatican imposes on me I will continue, in whatever way I can, to try to bring about reform in the church and to make it again a place where all who want to follow Christ will be welcome. He made friends with the outcasts of society, and I will do whatever I can in my own small way to oppose the current Vatican trend of creating a church of condemnation rather than one of compassion.I believe that the real aim of the CDF is to suppress the ACP – attempts have been made to clip the wings of the Austrian association. I hope and pray it will not succeed.While I am dealing with these issues in my own life I believe it is appropriate for me to temporarily stand down from my position of leadership in the association. I will, however, remain an active member, and will be available to help in every way possible for the work of the ACP, which is bigger than any one person.Finally, it could be asked why I am going public now having remained silent for a year. I need to take back my voice."
Bridget Mary's Response:
The holy shakeup continues as more and more priests stand up for conscience and an inclusive church that includes women priests. I pray that one day we will have women priests in Ireland. I stand in solidarity with Fr. Tony Flannery and the Association of Irish Priests and thank them for their prophetic witness to gender equality in the Catholic Church. Bridget Mary Meehan, ARCWP, Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests, www.arcwp.org, sofiabmm@aol.com

 

No comments: