Interfaith Service held at St. Paul's Episcopal
Church, Greenville, NC, 11/23/14.
We, Free Spirit Inclusive Catholic
Community, along with the Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans, Secular
Humanists, Pentecostals, Methodists and Episcopalians celebrated our unity.
|ARCWP Priest Ann Harrington on right wearing green stole.|
Interfaith Service 11/23/14
Jesus said: "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me won’t walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life". John 8:12
Jesus said: "You are the light of the world. No one would light a lamp and put it under a clay pot. A lamp is placed on a lamp stand, where it can give light to everyone in the house. Make your light shine, so that others will see the good that you do and will give praise to your Abba God in heaven". Matthew 5:14-16
1. A candle cannot light itself. It needs to receive light from another source. (Light pillar candle with a match)
O God, thank you for the light that Jesus the Christ brings to us and the light we can pass on to others.
2. A candle, when lit can give away its light without losing the light it has.
( light a small tea light from the central candle)
O God, thank you that you give us so much love that we can give away love to others without losing what we already have.
3. A candle burns as bright when it is new, as when it is old.
(light another pillar candle that is not as tall because it has already burned lower)
O God, thank you that whatever age we are, we can still be used by you to be a light for you to each other
4. A candle’s light is the same whatever the size, shape or color of the candle.
(light some other candles, of different shapes and colors)
O God, thank you that we all matter to you and are of equal value to you even though we are each very different. Help us to see the light of your love burning in everyone we meet.
5. Unless the candle’s light is passed on, that light dies when the candle itself comes to an end.
(light another candle)
O God, you want your light to be passed on to others. You are the light of the world and you call us to be lights to the world
6. A candle’s light is designed to be seen and is best placed high up so that it can give light to all; it is not for hiding away.
(demonstrate this by carefully lifting up the pillar candle higher)
O God, help us not to hide our light , keeping it to ourselves. You want us to be lights that bring light to as many people as possible
7. When the candles are snuffed out, ( snuff all but one candle) notice the spreading smoke, which like incense fills the room. Remember that the invisible presence of Jesus goes with us everywhere.
O God, even though some days we cannot sense your presence, you are always with us. May your invisible light shine brightly in and through us wherever we go in the days ahead.
And this light is not in some of us but all of us. God made us to shine this light. When we allow the light and love of God to flow through us in what we do, say and think, we spark others to let their light shine too.