Translate

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

"My Guardian Dear" by Regina Madonna Oliver, from A Promise of Presence





unsplash: Ludovoc Charlat

For I will command my angels

to guard you wherever you go. They'll carry you in their hands

so you don't hurt your foot on a stone.

Psalm 91:11-12 (IP)


Lisa and her two daughters had never experienced a thunder­

storm like this one. Lightning zigzagged through the night sky, piercing the threatening blackness all around their house. As they huddled together in fright, the angry sky lit up the room with its eerie, jagged white bolts.



Just as Lisa was about to take her daughters and seek shelter in a closet, a calming presence settled over the room. Lisa saw and heard an angelic presence telling her: "Don't be afraid. No harm will come to you." With that, she felt a peace settle upon her and her panic vanished. The two girls also seemed released from the fear that had gripped them only seconds before.



Later, when the storm was over, Lisa said to her children, "Girls, I have something to tell you."


"I know," said her oldest daughter. "I saw them, too." "What did you see?" Lisa asked.

"Our guardian angels," the child responded. "There were three of them. They told us not to be afraid, that no harm would come to us."


Lisa didn't realize that the girls had seen the same angelic vision that she had seen. Their statement affirmed for her that this had been no figment of her imagination but a blessed and valid spiritual experience. Their memory of that night will serve to calm any tendency to fear in the future, because all three know the reality of the promise in Psalm 91.



Those of us who have not had such an angelic experience can take confidence in God's ever-present care through Lisa's sharing of her experience. We do not need to see and hear angels to cling confidently to the scriptural promise in Psalm 91- repeated in Matthew 4:6-that God's angels are watching over us to keep us from harm.





DAY 1

Recover this childhood prayer to use throughout the day-and anytime you are facing a frightening situation:

Angel of God, my guardian dear;

To you God's love commits me here. Ever this (day/night) be at my side, To light, to guard, to rule, to guide. Amen.



DAY 2

Use the words of this old hymn as your prayer today:

Angel, dear angel, my guardian so bright, Watching beside me to lead me aright;

Fold your wings 'round me, 0 guard me with love. Softly sing songs to me of heaven above.

Beautiful angel, my guardian so mild, Tenderly guide me, for I am your child.



DAY 3

Look in Matthew 1, 2, 18, 22 and 24 for references to angel messen­gers. Reflect on the angels as signs of God's constant care.



DAY 4

Look in Mark 1, 12 and 13 for references to angels. Talk to God about these references and what they mean to you.



DAY 5

Look in Luke 1, 2, 9,15,16 and 24 for references to angels. How do angels relate with human beings, especially as bearers of peace? Create an angel prayer of your own.



DAY 6

Look in the Acts of the Apostles 6, 7, 10 and 12, and note how the theme of angels continues to unfold in the New Testament. Pray your favorite angel prayer.



DAY 7

Search the Letter to the Hebrews and the Book of Revelation for references to angels. Talk to God about these as signs of God special love and care of you. Ask God to fill you with the peace and serenity that these heavenly beings convey when they serve as God's messengers.

RMO (Reflection from A Promise of Presence by Bridget Mary Meehan and Regina Madonna Oliver)



No comments: