Translate

Sunday, August 2, 2020

"To Receive the Wonders" by Bridget Mary Meehan from A Promise of Presence

Unsplash: Mark Harpur



God will rejoice over you with gladness, and will renew you in love.
Zephaniah 3:17 (NRSV)



Danny, me man, I'm open," shouted Shane as my nephew threw the ball to his Irish cousin in the pool. Splashing and jumping up and down, the boys joined Brian, Darren and Katie in a lively game of catch in the pool that beautiful summer day. The children spent hours enjoying this wonderful game. When I prepared them a treat of popsicles and cookies, they stood around the picnic table- dripping wet-eating their snacks. It was obvious, however, that they did not want to tarry too long away from their wonderful pool play.


Watching the give and take of children at play provides us with a glimpse into our relationship with the Holy One. God is always present in our lives, loving us infinitely, boundlessly, totally and completely. All we have to be is receptive. Like children, we need open hands to receive the wonders of Divine Love everywhere and in everything. We give back to God the gift of our hearts, the gift of so our love. That is what prayer is all about: simply being aware of the Holy One present in us and all around us, loving us, delighting in us.


Did you ever think that you are as God's beloved? Imagine being held in love every moment of your day and in every event of your life. This vision of God's love can raise our spirits and make us like joyful children totally absorbed in play.



DAY 1

See God rejoicing over you. Allow the warmth of Divine Love to fill your heart with peace, joy, confi­dence-whatever you need to grow closer to God.



DAY2

Smile , delight in at God.'s Presence within , in your family, friends, community, creation. Let that loving, smiling gaze be your prayer today.



DAY 3

Compose a song, dance, litany, art work or other creative expres­sion that captures your vision of God's rejoicing in love over you.



DAY 4

Take time to be still and relax. As you inhale, breathe in the joy in God's heart. As you exhale, breathe out God's delight in all cre­ ation. Do this for as long as you can (at least ten minutes).



DAY 5

Make this your prayer today:



Companion God, I open myself to experience your love for me. You delight in me, as you do in jesus. How wonderful and marvelous it is to be loved so deeply and tenderly in your em­ brace. All I can say is "thank you."




DAY 6

Make this psalm your prayer today:



You created my inmost being

and stitched me together in my mother's womb. For all these mysteries I thank you-

for the wonder of myself,

for the wonder of your works-my soul knows it well.

Psalm 139: 13-14 (IP)



DAY 7

Make this your prayer today:



Let me be as a little child playing before you, 0 God, full of wonder, full of delight, expressing exhilaration in life's many small miracles that show me your great love for me: the song of a bird, a cup of hot tea, a word of encouragement from a friend, a partner to dance with, a family who cares-all this and so much more.

BMM

(This meditation was originally published in A Promise of Presence by Bridget Mary Meehan and Regina Madonna Oliver)

No comments: