Translate

Monday, November 2, 2020

Remembering Michele Birch Conery ARCWP by Mary Bergan Blanchard ARCWP

Bishop Michele Birch Conery ARCWP

Aug 3, 1939 - Oct 11, 2020

Video of Liturgy: https://youtu.be/1pD7bLnFSjg


 I'm drinking a glass of wine and musing about Michele.  The ceremony today was lovely and thought provoking.

 https://bridgetmarys.blogspot.com/2020/11/mass-of-resurrection-for-michele-birch.html


I'm one who believes that the faithful departed never depart at all. They are a bit elusive I admit , but what else do they have to do but follow the words of St. Therese who said, "I will spend my heaven doing good on earth."

I was warning Michele as I thought about her Mass that we have no intention of leaving her alone.

The last time I saw her was at our annual meeting a year ago. She was determined to treat McGill and me and we sat in the lounge and talked and laughed about who knows what. It was so delightful. Great!, I thought. We can kibbutz during retreat,  but she wasn't well during the rest of the gathering, so my memories linger there, in the lounge, with her warm and engaging self.

Michelle was mystical, academic, a poet ... more importantly, of this earth. I teased her about her love of exploration , of the excitement of the 60s, of her daring pink hair. Basically, she was an artist, one who could see the pith of things. I told her she was canny. She didn't know what I meant.

It was around four this afternoon when I finally had the chance to talk to her. "Well, the least you could do is give me a bit of sun. It's dreary out there. Clouds and more clouds. Just a bit of sun. Break through." 

Nothing.

"You're a fine one." and I went about my business. About a half hour later, I went back to window and a line of fluffy pink clouds had burst through the gloomy grey. Imagine, pink clouds!

Never underestimate the power of the "faithful departed".

Goodnight, Michele. We're not done with you, you know.

No comments: