Translate

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Unheard Voices of Catholic Women and Girls in the Pews by Mary Sue Barnett ARCWP

 Unheard Voices of Catholic Women and Girls in the Pews



I am the woman in the pew who is like the hemorrhagic woman who desperately but boldly touched the cloak of Jesus. She is in my soul. Someone preach about her.


I am the teenage girl in the pew sitting next to my father who has raped me multiple times. He is a respected member of the parish. God has to be more than father. Preach to me.


I am the woman in the pew who is contemplating escaping my husband who hits me. He owns a firearm. He is a Eucharistic minister in the parish. I smile, but don't be fooled. I'm terrified. Preach to me.


I am the woman in the pew with a call to ordination. I have an MDIV. I am neglected in my own spiritual home. Allow me into the heart of my own existence. 


I am the girl in the pew who was assaulted on my college campus by two fraternity brothers. I have nightmares. I feel worthless. Someone bring God to me.


I am the woman in the pew who is being stalked. I am hyper vigilant. I am exhausted. My horizons have closed. Preach to me.


I am the woman in the pew who is like the Samaritan Woman. I have profound dialogue in my soul with Christ. I am a mystic. But I am anonymous in my church. See me. Have coffee with me in a quiet place. 


I am the woman in the pew who has a male boss that touches my body. I cannot lose my job. I'm a single mother. I am humiliated. Preach to me.


I am the young woman in the pew who got pregnant as a teen. My family decided that I should get an abortion. Most people around me in the church, if they knew, would judge me severely. My world is dark. I am alone. Preach to me.


I am the woman in the pew who is like Shiphrah and Puah who defied the orders of the Pharaoh. And there are other prophetic women in the pews. Someone preach to us and call forth our communal courage.


I am the woman in the pew who has had multiple miscarriages. I hear babies crying in the sanctuary and I see babies being baptized.I feel lifeless and worthless in my church that exalts motherhood as the highest calling for a woman's life. Preach to my broken heart. 


I am the young woman in the pew who is weary of men's catcalling. Am I truly made in the image of God? Preach wisdom to me about MY body and Incarnate Love. 


I am the woman in the pew who is like the bent over woman made well by Jesus, living beyond my addiction. I finally forgive myself. I am beginning to move forward as a multi-dimensional person. Preach renewed hope to my blessed self.


I am a teen girl in the pew who has a girlfriend. I am closeted. It’s hard to breathe and I don’t think I can stay here much longer. Help me. 


I am the woman in the pew who is pregnant and who was shoved into a wall by my husband last night. Will a pregnant woman wear a stole and preach safety and self worth to me?


I am the woman in the pew like Mary Magdalene who has been to the cross and to the tomb, to that daring and mysterious meeting place with Christ. My spiritual wisdom is a gift to my church. I have a voice. Invite me. Call me forth. 


I am the woman in the pew who is having chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer. For the first time in my life, I yearn for a woman priest to put oil on me and bless me. Preach to me about women and healing.


Divine Presence—-Mother God, Holy Wisdom, Christa—She stands at the church doors, locked out.

The Holy Spirit, the Ruah of God, sweeps across the face of the locked church saying to the clerical gate keepers:

“Let Me In. My women and girls suffer in silence. Let Me In, Let Me In . . .

 

No comments: