Translate

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Help, Thanks, Wow, by Anne Lamott, A Must Read -Wise and Funny!

"My personal belief is that God looks through Her Rolodex when She has a certain kind of desperate person in Her care, and assigns that person to some screwed-up soul like your or me, and makes it hard for us to ignore that person's suffering, so that we show up even when it is extremely inconvenient or just awful to be there." Anne Lamott, Help, Thanks, Wow, p. 25.

Anne Lamott's book, Help, Thanks, Wow speaks to me because my prayer this year could be summarized by these three words, especially Help!
My Dad, Jack, died on Sat. after almost a year of debilitating illness. He was a devoted dad and my best friend. I will miss him more than words can say, but, I give thanks for his life, lived fully, especially his gift of music that was truly Wow! My Sister-in-law, Nancy, gave this book to me as an early Christmas gift and it is a keeper and a treasure! Poignant and funny at thee same time!
Bridget Mary Meehan, arcwp, www.arcwp.org

1 comment:

David Clark said...

I found the book: Help Thanks Wow by Anne Lamott to be a wonderful guide to prayer for Newtown, Ct. Here is my blog on what such prayers may look like. http://accdocpastor.blogspot.com/2012/12/help-thanks-wow-guide-to-prayer-for.html