Translate

Sunday, December 13, 2015

My Letter to Editor Published in Sarasota Herald Tribune, Sunday, Dec. 13, 2015, Response to Trump: "We are a Nation of Immigrants"

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20151211/LETTERS/151219917/2163/OPINION?Title=Sunday-s-letters

Nation of immigrants

I believe that love and compassion are at the heart of all religions. Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump’s call to prevent Muslims from coming to the United States does not reflect my understanding of what it means to be a Christian or what it means to be a citizen of the United States. We are a nation that was settled by immigrants fleeing religious persecution, poverty, hunger and oppression.

My family emigrated from Ireland in 1956 to seek economic opportunities. I will never forget my first glimpse of the Statue of Liberty. Lady Liberty has been and always will be a symbol of welcome to newcomers to our shores.

In my view, Trump’s proposal would betray our history and identity as a nation of immigrants that was founded on freedom of religion and equal opportunity for all.

I believe that Pope Francis’ words apply to believers and nonbelievers alike: “We ... are called to go out of ourselves to bring the mercy and tenderness of God to all.”

Bridget Mary Meehan
Sarasota

My family came to the U.S. in 1956, Jack, Bridie in back, Sean and Patrick in front

No comments: