Translate

Sunday, December 27, 2015

"Nuns, women from prison form a family at Journey House", Kansas City Star, Georgia Walker ARCWP Started Journey House

Kansas City Star


Georgia Walker, a former nun and executive director of Journey to New Life, the organization that started the house, has a rap sheet herself. She’s been arrested more than once for trespassing at the Honeywell plant in Kansas City and Whiteman Air Force Base to protest nuclear weapons.
In January, Walker, 68, became a Catholic priest, sort of. Catholic canon law rejects women priests. Walker rejects canon law.
Niemann has a gambling problem.
“Addiction is very lonely,” she said.
A lot of sharing goes on at Journey House.
The women from prison say the place is the closest thing to a home they’ve had in years.
“I don’t really have family — not anymore,” said Sandy Lightell, 48. “The sisters are my family now. I will never be able to repay them for what they’ve done for me. Like everyone here, I’ve done drugs and I’ve done crime, and I know God is working through them to get to us.
“They’ve taught me to give something in my heart and I never want to hurt them.”
Bialczyk said: “I don’t want to be anything else than what I am right now.”
Only one woman has been told to leave. She would not stop using drugs. The nuns watched from the window as she walked away that day, her suitcase refusing to stay latched and the contents spilling onto the street.
They prayed for her then and think about her still.
“Sometimes we have to lift each other up,” Walker said. “But there’s not a day I regret coming here.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/living/religion/article51695475.html#storylink=cp
y

No comments: