Bridget Mary's Response: May we be the loving face of the Holy One and instruments of healing as we work for justice and equality. Let us listen with compassion, love tenderly, act for justice and walk humbly with our God.
Bridget Mary Meehan ARCWP, www.arcwp.org
From Sister Simone Campbell/NETWORK
I believe we are all challenged by the Gospel to do our work differently. We are challenged to fight for a vision of who we are called to be in our nation and our world. To create this vision, we need to enter into a contemplative space where we let our guard down, listen to the Spirit, and act out of that centered space. We call on our elected officials to do the same deep listening, that leaves us all open to hear stories of people around us and grasp reality in new ways.
We are being called to a new level of engagement and action. Hard as it will be, we are called to take a radical dive into the deep listening that can reveal the new way forward. Let us commit to seeing the nourishment of our community in this very struggle. Only love can cast out hate, and we accept this challenge.
Our Commitment to Mending the Gaps Continues.
- We believe that we are stronger as a nation when we take decisive steps to create a just economy and a more inclusive society.
- We commit to working for policies that are effective in lifting families and individuals out of poverty across the nation.
- We confess that on nearly every measure, African-American and Latino Americans experience systemic obstacles in the quest for success.
- We know that women are the cornerstone of many families, yet are still more likely to be pushed into poverty than men.
- We pledge to work for an end to the racial and gender wealth gaps. And we continue to lift up the importance of intersectionality in pursuit of an economy that puts people – not profit – at the center, and a society where no one is excluded.
We can and must do better, as individuals, as a community, and as a nation.
So, in the new reality, let us begin to advocate strongly together, but also begin a time of deep listening. Let us share with each other what we hear. Then, we are prepared to lift up a vision of the 100% where all can work together to heal our nation.