Translate

Friday, September 15, 2017

"Unheard Voices of Catholic Women and Girls in the Pews" by Mary Sue Barnett ARCWP

Mary Sue Barnett ARCWP


I am the teenage girl in the pew sitting next to my father who has raped me dozens of times. He is a respected member of the community.
God has to be more than father. I thirst for safety and healthy love. Preach to me.

I am the woman in the pew who is contemplating escaping my husband who beats me. I am afraid he will kill me. I smile, but don't be fooled. I'm terrified. Preach to me.

I am the woman in the pew with a call to ordination and a gift for preaching. I have an MDIV.
I am underestimated. I am neglected. Invite me to preach and bring me into my life’s purpose.

I am the woman in the pew who is like the hemorrhagic woman who desperately but boldly touched the cloak of Jesus. She is in my soul. Someone preach about her.

I am the girl in the pew who was assaulted on my college campus by two fraternity brothers. I have nightmares. I am worthless.
Someone bring God to me.

I am the woman in the pew who is being stalked. I am hyper vigilant. I am exhausted. I am terrified. Preach to me.

I am the woman in the pew who is like the Samaritan Woman. I have profound dialogue in my soul with Jesus. I am a mystic. I am anonymous in my church. See the female face of Christ in me. Preach to me.

I am the woman in the pew who has a male boss that touches my body in a sexually inappropriate way. I cannot lose my job. I'm a single mother. I am humiliated. Preach to me.

I am the young woman in the pew who got pregnant as a teen. My family decided that I should get an abortion. Most people around me in the church, if they knew, would see me as a murderer. My world is dark. I am alone. Preach to me.

I am the woman in the pew who is like Shiphrah and Puah who defied the orders of the Pharaoh. Who are the other prophetic women in the pews? Someone preach to us and call forth our communal courage.

I am the woman in the pew who has had multiple miscarriages. I hear babies crying in the sanctuary and I see babies being baptized.
I feel lifeless and worthless in my church that exalts motherhood as the highest calling for a woman's life.
Am I made in the image of God? Preach to me.

I am the young woman in the pew who is weary from men's catcalling. Am I truly made in the image of God?
Preach wisdom to me about my body and identity.

I am the woman in the pew who is like the bent over woman made well by Jesus.
As a recovering alcoholic I neglected my children. In a church that exalts motherhood as the highest calling for women, I finally forgive myself. I am moving forward as a multi-dimensional human being with the future in front of me. Preach hope to my blessed self.

I am the woman in the pew who is pregnant and was shoved into a wall by her husband last night.
Will a pregnant woman wear a stole and preach self worth to me?

I am the woman in the pew like Mary Magdalene who has been to the cross and to the tomb, to that daring and mysterious meeting place with Christ. My spiritual wisdom is a gift to my church. How do I share? Invite me. Call me forth. Preach possibilities to me.

I am the woman in the pew who had a chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer last week.
For the first time in my life, I yearned for a woman priest to put oil on me and bless me. Preach to me about women and healing.

Divine Presence as Mother God, Holy Wisdom, and the Female Face of Christ, stand at the church doors, locked out.
The Holy Spirit, the Ruah of God, sweeps across the face of the locked church saying to the clerical gate keepers,
“Let Me In. My women and girls are suffering in silence! Let Me In, Let Me In, Let Me In, Let Me In . . .”

Mary Sue Barnett ARCWP
Catholic Woman Priest
Advocate for Women's and Girls’ Human Rights


-->

2 comments:

Biddyearly said...

Why women priests are needed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you,
I am some of these women, once in a lifetime of mass-going I heard one sermon preached to me like this. And I know I am unusual because it has happened once. for most it never happens.