Translate

Friday, June 17, 2022

Dismantle Male Supremacy in the Catholic Church by Ann Harrington ARCWP, June 13, 2022


Ann Harrington serves Free Spirit Catholic Community in Greenville, North Carolina, all826@suddenlink.net



Article in Daily Reflector

For many years I was a faithful reader of Maryknoll magazine and in its pages, I met a dynamic Catholic priest and Navy veteran, Roy Bourgeois.  He exuded the love and compassion of Jesus. In 2013 when I learned he was coming to Raleigh, I found myself much like the woman in Jesus parable who only wants to touch the hem of Jesus’ garment.  


Much to my delight I was asked to be Roy’s driver and take him to Pullen Church where he was going to tell the assembled of his work as a Maryknoll missionary for 40 years, how he became a human right’s activist and how following his conscience led to his excommunication and his dismissal from the priesthood.  If you are wondering what his crime was, it was his support of women’s ordination.


Roy has recently written an excellent memoir, “Male Supremacy in the Catholic Church” that I highly recommend.  Roy paid a high price in following the teachings of Jesus.  A price he was willing to pay.  He is a rare man and I know you will be enriched by reading his story.  I agree completely with these words of his: “This crisis in the Catholic Church is not complicated.  If the patriarchy that dominates the church is not dismantled and women are not treated as equals, the church will continue to diminish and, eventually die.”


I am an ordained Roman Catholic priest and founding pastor of Free Spirit Inclusive Catholic Community in Greenville.  If you would like to be part of the reformof the Church, consider visiting us. All are welcome to participate fully in our services.  Email me for more information, all826@suddenlink.net

No comments: