Translate

Monday, May 7, 2018

Memorial Service for Robert Emmet Bowen May 5, 2018, Murphy's Funeral Home, Arlington, Virginia

Bob Bowen September 9, 1940- April 8, 2018


Song: Holy Angels by Sara Thomsen

Gathering Prayer: Opening Prayer:
Leader: Gracious God, we gather to remember our dear Bob. We are grateful for the many ways Bob revealed your wisdom to us. We remember the generosity of his devoted service to family, communities, and country. We remember his laughter and wry sense of humor and the variety of ways Bob helped and supported us. We give thanks for his life and legacy that we celebrate today.
Amen.

Please join us in the response to Psalm 23: God is my shepherd

All: God is my shepherd I shall not want.

O my God You are my shepherd: I shall not want.
You bring me to green pastures for rest,
and lead me beside still waters renewing my spirit.

All: God is my shepherd I shall not want.

You restore my soul.
You lead me in the path of goodness to follow love’s way.

All: God is my shepherd I shall not want.

Even though I walk through the shadow of the valley and of death.
I am not afraid;
For You are with me; your rod and your staff,
they guide me,
they give me strength and comfort. 

All: God is my shepherd I shall not want.

You prepare a banquet before me
In the presence of all my fears;
You bless me with oil, my cup overflows.

All: God is my shepherd I shall not want.

Surely goodness and kindness will follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the heart of God forever. Amen.
All: God is my shepherd, I shall not want.
(Adapted from Psalms for Praying by Nan Merrill)









ANOINTING WITH OIL:
As Bob was anointed with oil at his baptism and confirmation, we anoint him now (and members of the Bowen family) as a sign of our love for Bob and for one another. Bob and all who have died are members of the communion of saints. They are still with us and will always be part of us inspiring and helping us in ways we cannot imagine.

Music- Peace is flowing like a river, (instrumental)

Gospel: John 14:1-3
Don’t let your hearts be troubled.
You have faith in God.
In God’s house there are many dwelling places.
Otherwise, how could I have told you that I was going to prepare a place for you?
I am indeed going to prepare a place for you.
And then I will come back to take you, that where I am, there you may be as well.

Tribute to Bob Bowen.
We now light a candle as each person shares a thought, prayer, poem or brief story about our beloved Bob as we grieve his loss and celebrate his life.












https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAZKobxNxc&feature=youtu.be

At the conclusion of each person’s tribute, we pray together.

All: Loving God, we remember the blessings that Bob brought to us.

Closing Blessing: Irish Blessing
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May you be held in the palm of God’s hand.

May our ever living God continue to bless us,
Creator, Redeemer and Spirit of Love. 

Music: When the saints go marching in Jack Meehan on trumpet with Galway Band in Tullamore, Ireland. https://jackbridgetmarymeehan.blogspot.com/search?q=jack+meehan+plays+when+saints+go+marching+in+at+Elaine+Duff%27s+wedding
(Instrumental)


No comments: