Translate

Friday, April 19, 2019

Good Friday: Poem by Dr. Roberta Meehan RCWP





Good Friday
Rev Dr Roberta M Meehan -- ©2019

Beyond reality
Beyond the pain
Nothing matters; fulfilling the mission
“This is why I am here.”
Focus – the journey nears its end.

Why do they scourge me?
Romans – Jews – doesn’t make sense
Who are they?  Doing a job
Why do they crown me?  Doing a job
Forgive them; forgive them; forgive them.

Where are they?  My family, my friends
Last night – I gave them me
Now, where are they?  I need them!
Did they leave me?
So alone!  Why?

Carrying the cross – heavy – help
Hold the end – thank you
Wipe my face – yes.  Thank you.
Grateful – can’t think.
Falling, falling, falling.

Nails, nails, nails –
Support my arms!
Trouble breathing
Ease my pain
Fog my thoughts!

Stripped naked
All of me – hanging from a tree
Nothing hidden – nothing ever hidden
No shame
I am me; stripped as me.

Thirst – terrible thirst
Sweat – blood – no, not gall!
Oh – worse – why – doing a job
They don’t know what they are doing.
Forgive them; forgive them; forgive them.

Crowds mocking me.  Friends too.
Scorning me.
Saying terrible things
They don’t know what they are doing.
Forgive them; forgive them; forgive them.

Two men here
Talking
One understands – he’ll be with me
The other doesn’t know.
Forgive him; forgive him; forgive him.

Family and friends
I see some now.
My mother – my beloved
Others too
Hold each other!  Love each other!  Love each other!

Am I forsaken?
Am I delirious?
Take my spirit!
Forgive them!
It is finished!

No comments: