Translate

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Showing of "Pink Smoke Over the Vatican" in Lexington, Kentucky/Documentary Producer of Award Winning Film, Jules Hart Spoke


(Left to right) Janice Sevre-Duszynska, ARCWP
Jules Hart, film maker,
Donna Rougeux, ARCWP at showing of Pink Smoke
Over the Vatican in Lexington, KY.



Jules Hart and Janice Sevre-Duszynska
at showing of "Pink Smoke Over the Vatican"
in Lexington

Last night about 13 people gathered for supper at my home here in Lexington. They included Jules Hart, the California film maker, and her brother from southern Indiana.


Kay Akers also came all the way from California for this event! With us were two folks from our Cincinnaticommunity, a freelance reporter and longtime friends/supporters of women priests from Lexington.We sat on the deck decorated with flowers from my English cottage garden and "talked shop": what's happening with Roy Bourgeois, the church, local, national and international, and our women's ordination movement.

What a joyful and spirited gathering!We had pulled pork, shrimp soaked in my sister's "Polish brine recipe," fruit salad and delicious "smacznego" potluck that everyone brought. My sister had left on Monday after caring for me during the first two weeks after my surgery.

Donna, who has been a God-send, had been over almost every day helping me get the house in order since I couldn't lift anything. She has walked the diaconate journey by setting up the "Pink Smoke" showing and in her concern and journeywith me. Her husband, Jerry, and his technical expertise, made sure everything went A-Okay with the film showing.

About 50 interfaith folks came to watch "Pink Smoke" in Lexington. They, too, were an enthusiastic audience. Afterwards, Judy introduced me and I Jules and we answered questions from the audience.

I introduced Donna Rougeux and people clapped when they heard she was going to be ordained in September!

For me it was a returning to the church where my ordination took place and where Roy's public stand for women priests took root. Now, three years later from Aug. 9, 2008, the grassroots has risen to support Roy and justice for women in our church!

After we spoke with folks who viewed "Pink Smoke," Donna, her husband Jerry, Kay, Jules and her brother and I returned to my home to celebrate and champagne toast "nazdrowie" to Jules for her tenaciousness and courage in producing the documentary about the struggle for justice for women in our church." We ate Kentucky Derby pie with ice cream and a slice of key lime on the side for dessert.

From Kay Akers, WOC woman from Los Angeles:"Even though I have been to debuts of Pink Smoke 7 or 8 times now, I can never pass up a chance to attend one more. Not only do I get something out of each viewing but the energy in the room is like an adrenalin high. I leave feeling energized, at peace and full of hope for the future. The same way when I am able to attend a liturgy presided over by a woman priest."
Janice Sevre-Duszynska, ARCWP
Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests
www.associationofromancatholicwomenpriests.org

No comments: