Translate

Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Where in This World?" by Diana Milesko-- Celtic Spirituality for Women Today


Celtic Spiral of Life: Bru na Boine/Newgrange,Ireland




Where in This World”

by Diana Milesko


Where in this world does a woman turn, to find affirmation, guidance and peace?

Where to find unconditional love?

Where to find whispers of God?

No martyr I, nor suffering for God...

But little questions eat away my humanity.

What dignity have women? How reflect the immortal God-Presence?

Why shunned, shackled, shut down in vision, in love?

Look to Celtic Holy Women, so long ago, for inspiration.

Then look to women around me

finding virtures of those ancient Celts - everywhere.

Not canonized by papal decree but popular acclaim? - Much the better.

A true reflection of the God-Presence in all.

St. Ita of Killeedy, nurtured foster children; founded an abbey;

taught youngsters, including

Brendan the Navigator, who sailed to the Isle of the Blessed.

America?

So, too, my friend, E, offers true faith, simplicity and generosity.

Caring for a granddaughter who, at age four, contracted type 1 diabetes,

E generously shares the gifts given to her.

St. Monenna of Killeevy a healer and interceesor for Peace.

St. Patricks’ sister and Mother of St. Mel,

She taught, “Every failure in life can be blessed.”

So, too, my friend, Ursula,

who offered laughter, comfort and peace.

A sickly child sat on her lap,

a portly pillow, a “thin place”, where earth and heaven meet,

a place to cavort with God and Joy.

St. Melangell, patron of ecology and holistic healing.

So too, my friend, Johanna,

who decades ago, nursed a child to health,

canned blueberries and other delights from her garden.

Said, “Not sick? Go to a doctor, he’ll make you sick.”

Walked five miles, daily, up the mountain

to attend mass.

St. Cannera of Bantry Bay in County Cork, persistent;

she buttressed the dignity of women.

Her spirit reflects this safe harbor,

this “thin place”

where God the touches earth;

Years ago, my son and friends limped into Bantry Bay

their little sailboat,

tattered and damaged,

after capsizing in a Gale

while crossing the Atlantic.

God kept them safe.

I rejoice when St. Cannera says,

“Christ came to redeem women no less than men.

“Women, as well as men, can enter the heavenly kingdom.”

Faith is a community of equals assert the gospels;

St. Cannera - a strong and loving confrontation with male authority.

So, too, my friend, F,

Who left the Catholic Church, became a Buddhist,

wryly observing, “I can’t sing; but I chant well.”

F displays the kindness, humility, joy, and razor-sharp intellect

of an Intelligent Universe.

She inspires and challenges me.

St. Winefride fled persecution. Despite beheading, was restored to life;

a survivor; showed healing love and strength.

So, too, my friend Z, who bore the agony of infidelity;

then watched, helpless, from her office,

as friends perished in the World Trade Center on 9/11;

who woke, mornings afterwards,

blankets ripped apart by fingernails cutting into them;

as loss and grief cut into her heart.

Who showed strength; how women survive

in the face of violence, emotional and physical,

how they move on with dignity and peace,

despite cruelities and persecution.

Others: too many to dwell on.

Perhaps a list, a summary, or less;

but lives as meaningful and hopeful

reveal the Life-Force that guides us all.

St. Godnait of Ballyvourne, compassionate and forceful community member.

So, too, my friend J,

who welcomed me to a new community,

encouraged me, a “soul friend.”

St Dymphna of Achill Island fled from evil.

A survivor and healer.

So, too, my friend, H, who bears many illnesses and griefs with patience

yet eases my sorrows with advice and listening.

St. Non of Holy Birthing.

So, too, my friend, B,

who revealed natural childbirth and nursing

in an age of anesthetics and bottle fed babies.

What joys she unlocked!

St. Tegla, promoter of wellness and balance.

So, too, my friend, K, yoga teacher; runner; smiler;

“Don’t let that in your karma,” she says of negative thoughts.

And smiles again.

St. Dwynwen, patron of lovers.

So, too, my two-year-old grand-daughter, S.

I stoop to tie her shoe. She grasps my head for balance;

says, “I love you so much, Grannie.”

My heart soars; it reaches God and flutters down to earth.

I am healed.

St. Brigit of Kildare, Bishop invested by Bishop Mel, nephew of St. Patrick.

Symbol of wisdom; advocate of women’s roles,

healer, and Abbess of broad reaching powers.

Like a Druidic mother-godess, a woman of compassion, hospitality and charity.

So too, my friend, BMM,

who restores hope in God’s unconditional love,

offers comfort and

stands, a shining inspiration to the marginalized today.

St. Hilda of Whitby who nurtures giftedness.

So, too my friends, Antoinette and M,

who joyously embrace the responsibility of children;

loving them, teaching them,

being patient with them,

encouraging them.

These women, like Celtic Holy Women, they are the soul of God.

No comments: