Translate

Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Table Manners"/Christianity Today/All Belong at Christ's Banquet Table

   christiancentury.org/article/2011-12/table-manners



Dec. 28,2011
by Andrew Packman

"The whole scene was awkward. With 20 or so people still in line to receive the Eucharist, this Bosnian Franciscan took a handful of the host and sought me out of the crowd. Nearly out of breath, he lifted the small plate toward me. I stood up from my pew."Will you have communion?" My heart beat faster, the way it does if you get asked to speak when you're not expecting it, or when you're breaking a rule and know you may get caught.I muttered, "Yes, I will.""Christ's body, broken for you." He placed the host in my hand. I raised it to my lips and carefully set it down on my tongue. ..I imagine this is what the prodigal son felt when he watched his aged father risk looking like a fool as he sprinted out to meet his son. Priests don't run during the mass; they certainly don't leave the 99 sheep behind to seek out the one who's lost, the one who needs to feel the warm embrace of full inclusion in a Christian community."

Bridget Mary's Reflection:
This is what it means to share Eucharist with the Body of Christ. Everyone is welcome at the table.
Roman Catholic Women Priests preside at liturgies where all are invited to receive Eucharist every week. This is what the inclusive priestly ministry is all about- welcoming with open arms, like the priest in this story above- and like Jesus did when he said: "Come to me all you who labor and are burdened.. Take and eat, this is my body, given for all. " All God's family -especially the broken, marginalized and needy, are embraced by God's love and belong at Christ's Banquet
Table. Eucharist is not a reward for those who keep the rules, but for nourishment for the journey.

No comments: