Translate

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Nurturing Space: A Reflection on Art in Liturgical Celebration, Ordination of Barbara Billey, ARCWP

http://nurturingspace.ca/2015/08/12/fibre-art-commission-the-gospels/
Evelyn Ward De Roo
“I would like to commission you to use your sacred artist gifts to create a faux Book of Gospels for my ordination. The Book of Gospels contains the four gospels, will be carried high in the processional to the table of worship and then someone will dance with it to the lecturn, where the gospel will be read. The theme of my ordination is “be fire and light our world with justice and peace.
My jaw dropped.

My first reaction was, ‘no way, too much pressure’. The weight of the request gave me pause.
Just breathe.
Who am I that I should attempt something like this? The words “carried high, processed, danced” all cried out in bold and I pondered whether I was worthy to say ‘yes’ to this request.   After a few days of thinking about it I came to the conclusion that if I didn’t accept I would be missing a tremendous artistic opportunity and challenge..."

No comments: