Translate

Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Triduum Poems – 2003 © 2007 – Roberta M. Meehan – update © 2015 – Dr. Roberta M. Meehan, RCWP



Holy Thursday

The meal complete, he looks around.

Are they ready? His humanity wonders.

Challenge and pain curl his brow.

And emptiness closes his eyes.

Tightness grips his chest as he surrenders to the moment.



Then back – a slight smile spreads across his lips.

A laugh teeters in his throat.

Now! he thinks. Now! Now is the time.



They look at him – not knowing what to expect.

Wondering what he is thinking, planning….



He reaches for the breadbasket

And pulls it toward himself.

He chooses a small loaflet.

Elbows on the table, piercing dark eyes in a gentle teaching mode….

“Do you know what this is?”



Disbelief shrouds their sighs.

“A remnant of bread?” ventures one.

“From our Passover meal?”

“Not so,” he instructs. “Not so.”

“Think!” He pauses. “Think and watch.”



His attention shifts to his cup.

He toys the edge and again questions them.

“Do you know what this is?”

“Your wine?” One asks.

“You haven’t finished your wine. Do you need more? We have plenty.”



He becomes somber.

“No. Not so. You do not understand. Think. Think and watch.”



He studies the bread – contemplating, visioning.

A serious focus embraces the wine.

Back and forth he gazes, blessing and knowing –

Past and future merge!

Bread and wine converge on NOW!



He holds the bread, intently, carefully.

“This, “ he instructs, “This is my body!”



“Here, take it!” A commanding offer. “Take it and eat it.”

His eyes meet the first and move from one to another.

“All of you! Eat it!” And they do.



He holds his wine cup – studying it, swirling it.

“And this,” he says, “This is the cup of my blood! This is the cup of salvation

Which will be shed for you and for many.

Here. Take this cup and drink from it.”

Again their eyes meet.

“All of you! Drink from it!” And they do.



Solemnity falls on those assembled.

They look each to the other.

They know only vaguely the enormity of what has happened.



He looks lovingly, sadly, at each of them.

“You,” he says. “Now you are my body; now you are my blood!

Furthermore, I tell you to do this. Do this in remembrance of me!

Do this until the end of time! And I am with you!”



He looks down. They become – all of them – one in him and he in them.

And he whispers, “It is finished!”






Good Friday



Beyond reality

Beyond the pain

Nothing matters; fulfilling the mission

“This is why I am here.”

Focus – the journey nears its end.



Why do they scourge me?

Romans – Jews – doesn’t make sense

Who are they? Doing a job

Why do they crown me? Doing a job

Forgive them; forgive them; forgive them.



Where are they? My family, my friends

Last night – I gave them me

Now, where are they? I need them!

Did they leave me?

So alone! Why?



Carrying the cross – heavy – help

Hold the end – thank you

Wipe my face – yes. Thank you.

Grateful – can’t think.

Falling, falling, falling.



Nails, nails, nails –

Support my arms!

Trouble breathing

Ease my pain

Fog my thoughts!



Stripped naked

All of me – hanging from a tree

Nothing hidden – nothing ever hidden

No shame

I am me; stripped as me.



Thirst – terrible thirst

Sweat – blood – no, not gall!

Oh – worse – why – doing a job

They don’t know what they are doing.

Forgive them; forgive them; forgive them.



Crowds mocking me. Friends too.

Scorning me.

Saying terrible things

They don’t know what they are doing.

Forgive them; forgive them; forgive them.



Two men here

Talking

One understands – he’ll be with me

The other doesn’t know.

Forgive him; forgive him; forgive him.



Family and friends

I see some now.

My mother – my beloved

Others too

Hold each other! Love each other! Love each other!



Am I forsaken?

Am I delirious?

Take my spirit!

Forgive them!

It is finished!





Holy Saturday



The barren cross bespeaks the truth.

He is gone; he is not here.

Unfilled promises and empty dreams

Engulf and strangle the ones who are near.



Behind the rock his body lies

Entombed in silence in a borrowed grave,

Stilled from life, alone in a shroud,

Transcending time but ensouling the now.



What did he teach them, and what did they learn?

How could he leave them forlorn and afraid?

He taught them to love; he gave them himself.

He instilled in them hope and a reason to be.



They look around and try to make sense

Of the emptiness and their fear-filled lives.

They try to make sense of his cross and his death.

They try to make sense of the time they have lost.



They look around and try to make sense

Of the Passover meal, the bread and the wine.

It’s all a blur, they feel so lost.

Nothingness fills the sorrowing, empty day.



They wait in agony to go to the tomb

To mourn, to sit, to hope, and to pray.

Their loss on this Sabbath is much more profound.

His echoing words – for whom was this Sabbath made?



They’ll go in the morning to prepare his remains.

There is nothing left of this Sabbath of God.

He gave himself in the bread and the wine.

He gave himself in his death on the cross.



And now they wait for the promise of life,

For the promise of hope in the bread and the wine,

For the promise he gave to always be near.

Could they find meaning in his death on the cross?






Resurrection





"Where is he?" Desperate scream --

Anguished widow-church at the empty tomb



Her Self detached

-- as stark reality impaled her

-- as emptied bowels contorted her.



The oneness they were

The embodiment of unity -- the bounds of creation

Diversity branching from unity -- divinity ensouling humanity



She was his beloved - his moment of creation.

This is my body!

And she consumed him and he was hers.



The hope, the kingdom,

The church they would build
The promises -- dashed and broken



Hanging from the cross

Crushed and buried

This is my body!



And now -- wrenched from her very soul

Even his body -- no more --

Taken -- this last violation.



Alone -- too drained for fear, she moved

Each step bearing the weight of the unsaved world.



"Mary!" She turned.



Involution of unclaimed brilliance

Exploded in one majestic NOW.



Their eyes met

Joy erupted from the very fonts of their beings.

Reaching fingers touched.



And once more -- divinity engulfed humanity.

This is my body!





Resurrection Revision -- ©2007 Roberta M. Meehan – update © 2015 – Roberta M. Meehan

No comments: