Translate

Sunday, August 12, 2018

Ireland Day 12: House Liturgy in Air B&B in Killarney- Lighting the Fire of God's Desire as Prophets in the Spirit of St. Brigid of Kildare


left to right Dennis McDonald, Jeanne McDonald, Bridget Mary Meehan, Joan Chesterfield, Mary Theresa Streck



Celtic Cross Altar Cloth, Bread and Wine



St. Brigid's Cathedral, Kildare

St. Brigid's Parish Church, Kildare, Ireland


Liturgy of Fire – The Spirit Within and Around Us

Opening Prayer
We celebrate the spirit of divine presence in all creation as we behold the beauty of every living creature on earth.  With St. Brigid, we light the fire of God’s desire as prophets of new vision of hospitality to welcome all  to the Banquet Table of InfiniteLove as we dance the dance of  Spirit embracing all.

Opening Song: Light the Fire
In honor of St, Brigid (composed by Liam Lawton, January 1993)


There travels forth from the passages of history
A woman’s voice that is heard across the plains,
That calls once more, for a people of new vision
To heal our wounds and green our Earth again,
To heal our wounds and green our Earth again.

She spreads her cloak ‘cross the land and far beyond it,
A shadow cast on a people void of hope.
She speaks of peace and the chains that weigh upon it
And there her light shall glimmer from the oak
And all that binds the people shall be broke.

So light the Fire of God’s desire
Within all hearts, let sorrows end.
So light the Fire of God’s desire
God’s chosen one, Your peace upon us send.

And we today need a prophet of new vision,
To lift the low – the forgotten child to heed,
To be the voice of the wounded and the weary,
To plant anew a fresh and peaceful seed
To dance the dance of God’s own Blessed Bríd.

So light the Fire of God’s desire
Within all hearts, let sorrows end.
So light the Fire of God’s desire
God’s chosen one, Your peace upon us send.



First Reading:
Consecrated. 
All has been consecrated.
The creatures in the forest know this, 
the earth does, the seas do, the clouds know,
as does the heart full of love.
Strange, a priest, would rob us of this
knowledge
and then empower himself
with the ability
to make holy what
already was. 
These are the words of St. Catherine of Siena and we affirm them by saying: AMEN.
Second Reading: A passage inspired by Celtic theologian Pelagius (360-418):
Look at the animals roaming the forest: God’s spirit dwells within them. Look at the birds flying across the sky: God’s spirit dwells within them. Look at the tiny insects crawling in the grass: God’s spirit dwells within them. Look at the fish in the river and sea: God’s spirit dwells within them. There is no creature on earth in whom God is absent. . . . When God pronounced that creation was good, it was not only that the Holy One's hand had fashioned every creature; it was that the divine breath had brought every creature to life. Look too at the great trees of the forest; look even at your crops. God’s spirit is present within all plants as well. The presence of God’s spirit in all living things is what makes them beautiful; and if we look with God’s eyes, nothing on the earth is ugly. [3] Go out into the natural world and look with God’s eyes; listen with God’s ears; know your place within God’s good creation.
These are the words of Pelagius, Celtic theologian and we affirm them by saying: AMEN
Gospel of John. 6:41-51.
The temple authorities started to grumble in protest because Jesus claimed, “I am the bread that came down from heaven.“ They kept saying, “Isn’t this Jesus, son of Mary and Joseph? Don’t we know his mother and father? How can he claim to have come down from heaven?“
“Stop your grumbling.“ Jesus told them.
“No one can come to me
unless drawn by Abba God, who sent me-
and those I will raise up on the last day.

It is written in the prophets:
‘They will all be taught by God.’
Everyone who has heard God’s word and has learned from it comes to me.
Not that anyone has seen Abba God -
only the one who is from God has seen Abba God.
The truth of the matter is, those who believe have eternal life.
I am the bread of life.
Your ancestors ate manna in the desert, but they died.
This is the bread that comes down from heaven, and if you eat it you’ll never die.
I myself am the living bread come down from heaven.
If any eat this bread, they will live forever.
The bread I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.“

These are the words from the Gospel of John, and the community affirms then by saying: Amen.
Shared Homily  

Statement of Faith:
We believe in one God, a divine mystery
beyond all definition and rational understanding,
the heart of all that has ever existed,
that exists now, or that ever will exist.

We believe in Jesus, messenger of God's Word,
bringer of God's healing, heart of God's compassion,
bright star in the firmament of God's 
prophets, mystics, and saints.

We believe that We are called to follow Jesus
as a vehicle of God's love,
a source of God's wisdom and truth,
and an instrument of God's peace in the world.

We believe in the Holy Spirit,
the life of God that is our innermost life,
the breath of God moving in our being,
the depth of God living in each of us.

We believe that God's kin-dom is here and now,
stretched out all around us for those
with eyes to see it, hearts to receive it,
and hands to make it happen.

Presider 1: As we prepare for this sacred meal, we lay our stoles upon the table as a sign that just as Jesus is anointed, so each of us is anointed. 
And we bring to this table our blessings, cares and concerns. please feel free to voice your concerns beginning with the words “I bring to the table….”   
[end with]   We bring all of these prayers and unspoken concerns to the table of friendship. Amen.
LITURGY OF THE EUCHARIST

Presentation of the Gifts

Presider:  We gather around the table with the gifts of bread, wine, and our own lives to offer.  Through this sacred meal may we become your new creation as we trust your Presence at work in our lives doing infinitely more than we can imagine. 
All:  Blessed be God for forever. 

Presider 2: Please join in praying our Eucharistic Prayer:

ALL:  O Divine Fire of Love, glowing embers dance in our hearts. Our souls are purified by the searing truth that ignites our spirits and by the fire that penetrates the cold around us, setting our hearts aglow with tenderness.

How often have we felt tender love that is without limits or boundaries! How often have we been consumed with delight by love in a human touch!  How often have we been embraced through Earth's beauty, a part of the beloved creation that surrounds us! We are energized to work for justice and peace in our world and we raise our voices with grateful hearts as we sing:

Alleluia, sing! 
(Alleluia Sing by David Haas) 

Blessed be our God! 
Blessed be our God!  
Joy of our hearts, source of all life and love!  
God of Heaven and Earth! 
God of Heaven and Earth! 
Dwelling within, calling us all by name!  
Alleluia, sing! 
Alleluia, sing! 

Gift of love and peace!
Gift of love and peace!
Jesus Christ, Jesus our hope and light!
A flame of faith in our hearts!
A flame of faith in our hearts!
Proclaiming the day, shining throughout the night!
Alleluia, sing!
Alleluia, sing!

ALL:  Holy Mystery, may we listen with assurance and excitement as the infinite, boundless, depths of love are revealed within and among us. May we awaken to the promise that we are always, no matter what the obstacles or setbacks we experience, embraced with love and compassion. May we be consumed with such a hunger and thirst for justice that our words and actions inflame others to become signs of justice. May we have eyes to see human need, hearts to care for our sisters and brothers and hands and feet to lighten others' burdens.

We are thankful for Jesus, and his strong, but gentle presence, whose message blesses and transform our lives. He showed us how to live as your new creation.

Presider 1:
(lifts bread as community prays the following:)

All: On the night before Jesus died, he gave us a special gift of love divine. He took bread, broke it and shared it with friends who gathered around the table saying:

Take and eat of the Bread of Life 
Given to strengthen you  
Whenever you remember me like this  
I am among you. (pause) 

Presider 2  (lifts the cup as community prays the following: )

All: Jesus then raised a cup of blessing, spoke the grace saying: 
Take and drink of the covenant 
Made new again through my life in you. 
Whenever you remember me like this, 
I am among you.  (pause)

All: Let us share this bread and cup to proclaim and live the gospel of justice and peace.

All: As we celebrate this memory of Jesus, let us experience, like the disciples on the road to Emmaus, in the sharing of the bread and the cup of blessing, the divine presence in our midst.
May we become Spirit-Fire, as we fan the flames of love over the entire cosmos.
May all of our families and friends, the young and old, the sick and dying and all those in need experience nurturing love this day.

May all creation dance and become one heart, one mind, one spirit with everything. May we touch the earth with reverent awe and live in harmony with all creatures. May we turn away from all efforts to dominate anyone or anything. May we see the divine presence shining in the stars and in the sun. May we embrace the universe's treasures and celebrate life's simple pleasures each day. May love kindle our friendship with all life, as we dwell as one with all of creation.

Presider 2: Let us pray together the prayer of Jesus:
ALL:  O Holy One, who is within, we celebrate your many names. Your wisdom come.
Your will be done, unfolding from the depths within  us. Each day you give us all
that we need. You remind us of our limits, and we let go. You support us in our
power, and we act with courage. For you are the dwelling place within us, the
empowerment around us, and the celebration among us, now and forever. Amen.
The Prayer of Jesus as interpreted by Miriam Therese Winter

Presider 1: Please join in the prayer for the breaking of the bread: (Presiders break the bread)

ALL: O Holy One, we are called to live the Gospel of peace and justice.  We will live justly.
We are called to be presence of Love in the world.  We will love tenderly 
We are called to speak truth to power.  We will walk with integrity in your presence.
Presider 2:  This is the Bread of Life and the Cup of Blessing, through it we are nourished and we nourish each other.

ALL:  What we have heard with our ears, we will live our lives; as we share communion we will become communion, both love’s nourishment and love’s challenge.

Presider 1: Our Eucharistic celebration is all-inclusive. You are a spark of the Divine and nothing can separate you from Divine love. All are welcome to receive at this table.  Please pass the bread and the cup with the words “You are a Spark of the Divine.  

Communion Meditation: Deer’s Cry by Shaun Davey
I arise today through the strength of heaven
Light of sun, radiance of moon
Splendor of fire, speed of lightning
Swiftness of wind, depth of the sea
Stability of earth, firmness of rock
I arise today through God's strength to pilot me
God's eye to look before me
God's wisdom to guide me
God's way to lie before me
God's shield to protect me
From all who shall wish me ill
Afar and a-near
Alone and in a multitude
Against every cruel, merciless power
That may oppose my body and soul
Christ with me, Christ before me
Christ behind me, Christ in me
Christ beneath me, Christ above me
Christ on my right, Christ on my left
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down
Christ when I arise, Christ to shield me
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me
I arise today
Presider 2: Holy One, we are thankful for this holy meal which reminds us of the need to willingly give of ourselves completely. Our hearts are fueled with divine energy. May we share the love we have experienced with all of creation and may we live always as instruments of faithful love. Amen.

Final Blessing:

Presider 1: Please extend your hands in blessing.

All:  In the spirit of St. Bridget of Kildare, we welcome the poor and sick to the feast, for they are God’s children. We welcome the marginalized and excluded to the feast, for they are God’s joy. Together, in a circle of love, we dance a new Church of hospitality and welcome embracing all.
Amen

Closing Song:  Dance Then Wherever You May Be
By John Ogrodowczyk

I danced in the morning when the world was begun
I danced in the Moon, and the stars, and the Sun
I came to the Earth and I danced on the sea
From the dust of stars I came to be.

Dance then, wherever you may be
I Am the Life in your dance you see!
And I'll lead you all, and you will dance with me,
For I am Life, The Great Mystery!

I danced for the strong and I danced for the weak,
I danced for those who wouldn't dance with me,
I danced for the rich and I danced for the poor,
I danced till the king’s gold lustered no more.

Dance then, wherever you may be
I Am Life, The Great Mystery!
And I'll lead you all wherever you may be
and I lead you all in your dance with me.

I danced in the springtime, in the summer and fall
I danced when the cold winds blew in winter's call
I danced in the rain under rainbow's bend,
I danced in the sun to horizon's end.

Dance then, wherever you may be
I Am the Life in your dance you see!
And I'll lead you all, and you will dance with me,
For I am Life, The Great Mystery!

I danced in the cities under coal skies black
I danced in the forest where the trees fell fast
I danced on the waters where poison rivers flowed
Still I dance and hope, love's just biding I know

Dance then, wherever you may be
I Am Life, The Great Mystery!
And I'll lead you all wherever you may be
and I lead you all in your dance with me.

There are those that doubt and fear what they don't know
They run and they fight, seeds of hate they sow
But they cannot take my soul, from their chains I will break free
I'm the Light in the darkness for all humanity.

Dance then, wherever you may be
I Am the Life in your dance you see!
And I'll lead you all, and you will dance with me,
For I am Life, The Great Mystery!

(Liturgy is by Bridget Mary Meehan ARCWP, Mary Theresa Streck ARCWP, and Dennis McDonald ARCWP. https://arcwp.org Permission is given to use or adapt)









No comments: