Translate

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Bumbling My Way to COVID 19 Vaccine in Sarasota, Florida on Dec. 30, 2020- Bridget Mary Meehan ARCWP

Nurse Administering COVID19 Moderna Vaccine

 On Monday, my friend Peg sent me a link to information about COVID 19 Vaccinations  being given at the Department of Health in Sarasota County, Florida

I went to the internet site and downloaded the registration form but was unable to make an appointment. So I wondered what did it mean when the site said the "tickets were sold out."

Since I did not know where the health dept. building was, ( actually 5 minutes from where I live- lol) I put the address on my phone and decided yesterday, I would go there on a dry run. There is a large parking garage with free parking and a Visitor Lot with limited parking. I got the last spot in the Visitor Lot. 

As I walked toward the building, I saw a large line of people. So I went to the end of the line and asked the people I met  about the paperwork including how they procured an appointment. Some people, like me, had only the  registration paperwork filled out, while others had both registration and a sheet with verification of an appointment.  There was general confusion about what to do.  

Governor Ron DeSantis recently said, when asked about distribution of the vaccination, that we'd figure it out as we go. This appears to be the way Florida is heading in these early days as hundreds of Seniors line up for the shot. Here's hoping for the best!

After several minutes, a health official came out of the building, and as she came down the long line, she gave everyone a number. I was #56 and the lady behind me was #57. She said even though we did not have an appointment, if we waited, we would probably be able to get the vaccine shot. She also announced that anyone with an appointment should go to the head of the line.  

The only thing required in Florida is to fill out the vaccine registration, available on the Sarasota county government website, and agree to get second shot at same site. It is first come, first served. In many ways, it feels like the wild west!

During the long wait, everyone seemed to be in good humor. I conversed with strangers who shared  with me that they were cancer survivors. As the line slowly moved, people were patient and kind. The health officials were wonderful.  

I recommend that you get an appointment, bring a chair and water if you use the Sarasota Health Department on Ringling Blvd. Better yet, go to another county and line up in the Drive-Thru Site.  Or wait until Sarasota does Drive -Thru Sites.

After about 3 hours in line, I did get the shot. In the end, I am grateful that I found the building, and that they took people without appointments.  

What's the Life lesson?  Sometimes, one's stumbling and bumbling, leads to wonderful surprises and blessings one never expects! 

No comments: