Translate

Sunday, May 9, 2021

Remembering My Mother Bridie and Aunt Molly on Mother's Day 2021 by Bridget Mary Meehan ARCWP

Bridie Meehan, my mother



Molly McCarthy, my Aunt

                                   
On this Mother's Day, my heart overflows with gratitude for my loving mother, Bridie and my dear Aunt Molly. Their gentle spirits continue to live on in my heart, and in the hearts of our family. 

Bridie and Molly were sisters who loved each other dearly. Even though they quibbled over the minor stuff, they were connected in a bondedness that went beyond anything I could describe. They nurtured my brothers, Patrick ,Sean and me  during our childhood and for years beyond until they passed into the fullness of God's loving embrace in 1995(Molly)and in 1998 (Mom). I still miss them. 

Each of my family  members  has their own precious memories of the sisters! Here are some of mine.

The sisters  were born in Coolkerry, Rathdowney in  County Leix, Ireland in the early 1900's. Sadly, their dear mother, Bridget Neary Beale died when they were children.  

Aunt Molly was a free spirit who loved new adventures. She emigrated with her brother Paddy to U.S. in her twenties. Shortly, after their arrival, Molly and Paddy settled down in Philadelphia. They lived with the Whelan family who had emigrated from Ireland sometime earlier.  

Molly worked as a maid for wealthy families on the mainline in Philadelphia until she married Fergus McCarthy from Galway and moved to Arlington Virginia. Mom stayed in Ireland to care for her father, Pat Beale. He died in 1955, and, shortly afterwards, Molly invited Mom and Dad to emigrate to the United States, which we did in 1956.

We lived together until Molly and Fergus saved enough money to purchase a new home down the street from us.  The sisters enjoyed doing things together. I remember they shared household chores and  their trips to the sales at  McCrory's 5 and 10! Fergus helped Dad to get his first job working as a janitor in a DC public school. I will never forget the beautiful red-headed doll with braids that Aunt Molly gave to me shortly after our arrival. 

On this Mother's Day, I honor Bridie and Molly, for their love of each other and for all they did to nurture our family.  Through "thick and thin" they were there for us. I  am grateful for the rich legacy of faith, and family bonds, they left to us. They never preached Catholic or family values. They simply lived them, like the air they breathed. 

May their gentle spirits live on in the circle of love that unites our family forever!

No comments: