Translate

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Where I'm From as I Celebrate my Birthday -by Bridget Mary Meehan ARCWP

 

I am from Bridie and Jack -loving parents- who gave our family- Patrick and Sean- the greatest of legacies in a loving, faith-filled and happy home.


Bridie and Jack outside cottage in Coolkerry on wedding day

I am from  a family I dearly love. 

This photo below was taken in our back yard in Falls Church, Virginia on the occasion of my parents' 50th wedding anniversary )right to left back row: Brother Patrick and Valerie, his wife,Brother Sean, and Nancy his wife and son Danny in. her arms,
Bottom row from left to right: Aunt Molly, Mom, Dad with Katie in his arms. and me)


First home- cottage in Coolkerry, County Laois- near Rathdowney, Ireland. 

I'm from ducks, sheep, and cows, buttercups, nettles and daisies and all kinds of tall grass and wildflowers in emerald, green fields.

I am from floating fluffy white clouds, soft gentle rain, wind blowing, squishy mud pies and searching the bushes for hen eggs.

I am from the water's edge at the Erkina River.
 Fishing for Pinkeens with a small jam jar.

I am from cows and sheep grazing in fields full of tall grass and thistles.

Once Patrick and I fed a small lamb from a baby bottle and he swallowed the nipple. We ran home crying -thinking- the lamb would get sick. The next day,we  saw the  lamb frolicking in the field! Lesson learned😊




Cottage in Coolkerry (close-up)




Erkina River

Wildflowers and bushes on the banks of the Erkina River across from our cottage



Molly and Fergus McCathy

I am from a beloved Aunt- Molly- who sent me lovely dresses in. packages tied up with twine and gave me the most beautiful doll with braided red-hair. In 1956 Aunt Molly and her husband Fergus sponsored our family's emigration to the United States and shared their 3 story colonial home with us in Arlington, Virginia in 1956.

Mom and Aunt Molly were close-knit sisters with very different personalities

(seated: Mom, behind Mom Aunt Molly, Dad and me at Sean and Nancy's home- which was previously owned by Aunt Molly and Uncle Fergus)



I am from a musical family. 
My grandfather played the fiddle and taught the village children in Ballyroan. 

Dad with sax often joined the Ballyroan Band for Music Sessions on our visits to Ireland


(left to right)Bo Kinnall, Dad and Hank Oeser played together at Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, Virginia for 20 years.

I am from infinite divine love beyond the beyonds.

 I am made of joy and know that all shall be well no matter what.

I am from imperfections and holy messes that have silver linings.

I come from  a place where there is always room at the table and more than enough to share. 

I am from Mary of the Gael,  blessed mother, cherished companion, first priest who could say: "this is my body and this is my blood. "

Stained glass found on internet


I am from  Brigit goddess and St. Brigid , lover of earth and companion to the suffering, visionary and leader, abbess and bishop of a double monastery in Kildare. 

(This stained glass window is in Blessed Trinity Chapel in Rathdowney in County Laois where I made my first communion.)

Photo of me on my first Communion Day outside old Chapel in Rathdowney


I am from Mary Magdalene and all the  faith -filled women who followed Jesus- preachers, healers, lovers, prophets and priests including my companions in the international Roman Catholic Women Priests Movement.

internet icon of Mary of Magdalene - apostle to the apostles



I am from a renewed priestly ministry in communities of equals where all are invited to celebrate sacraments. I am living the impossible dream -that I never would have imagined 25 years ago- as  a presider in Mary Mother of  Jesus inclusive Catholic Community https://marymotherofjesus.net/
and a bishop in the Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests www.arcwp.org

Bridget Mary Meehan -presiding at one of our historic ordinations


Roman Catholic Women Priests and Mary Mother of Jesus Inclusive Catholic Community Celebrate Ordination at St. Andrew Church UCC
























1 comment:

Judy Lee said...

I love your story and am so glad that putting it all together we have the special and wonder-full person, priest and bishop that you are! We are blessed! Thanks be to our loving God!